Still not sure if you want a Nest or a Honeywell thermostat? This quick comparison chart compares the major features of the Nest and the Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat (RTH9580WF).
Nest vs Honeywell Wi-Fi
Nest Learning Thermostat T200577
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
|Competitive Edge||Simplicity of use, Leaf for encouragement||Email alerts, excellent touch screen UI|
|Learning||Adapts to your schedule||Adapts to your furnace|
|Energy Usage Report||Yes. Usage reports with "Leaf" badge awarded for particularly efficient days.||No|
|Temperature swing range||+/- 3||+/- 1 degree|
|Display||Motion-activated||Always on (dims when idle)|
|Time periods||Unlimited||Limited to 4 (wake, leave, come back, sleep)|
|On-unit controls||Adjust temp||Almost everything|
|Zone control support|
|Filter change reminder (optional)|
|Fahrenheit / Celsius||Yes / Yes||Yes / Yes|
|Review||Read Our Review||Read Our Review|
Help me decide!
Read about the Nest advantages over Honeywell Wi-Fi and the Honeywell Wi-Fi advantages over Nest.
The Nest Learning Thermostat is for you if…
- You’re attracted to the simplicity of installing the Nest and letting it adapt to your habits
- You want to be encouraged to use energy-smart temperatures and settings
- You would enjoy the monthly reports and would like to compare your usage to others in your region
- You won’t miss the e-mailed alerts the Honeywell offers
- You don’t have a C-wire (in some setups, the Nest can work without a C-wire)
- You love the Nest’s design
See the latest price for the Nest Learning Thermostat on Amazon.com
The Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat is for you if…
- You favor tighter control over the temperature
- You want the emailed alerts so you know when your house has lost power or is colder than you expect
- You like to control things from the wall unit itself (you can still do these things on the app and website, too)
- You just don’t like the Nest’s minimalist design aesthetic
- You don’t like Google for whatever reason (privacy concerns, perhaps)
Did you try a Nest and it didn’t work out for some reason? Some homeowners who had difficulty installing a Nest switch to Honeywell Wi-Fi without problems. (You will need a C-wire, though.) The only real drawback of the Honeywell is the lack of monthly usage reports.
See the latest price for the Honeywell Wi-Fi RTH9580WF on Amazon.com
Note to readers: Some links on SmartThermostatGuide.com are affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
5 replies on “Nest vs Honeywell Wi-Fi RTH9580WF Comparison Chart”
How much should a Honeywell RTH 9580WF thermostat cost? with installation ? What is a C wire? I want to be able to adjust Humidity levels in Florida
The nest can act as a humidistat, controling a humidifier, the 9000 cannot.
According to Honeywell tech support, you CAN use an RTH9580WF without a C-wire, at least in my application (forced-air electric heat and A/C. You need the THP-9045 wiresaver module which can be had on Amazon for about $20.
I have an old Lennox 80% furnace. I am looking for controlling my furnace remotely over smart phone. Can anyone tell me if any of these Thermostats ( Nest Learning Thermostat T200577 or Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat ( RTH9580WF ) will work ?
Is this Zigbee or Z-Wave wireless?