Our Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat rating:
9/2017 update: It’s still going strong! If you want a no-nonsense smart thermostat from the company known for thermostats, this touch-screen Honeywell is still a good choice. They’ve added support for Alexa (via Alexa-enabled devices, like the Echo) and this model still shows up in best-seller lists.
2/2015 update: We thought Honeywell would give this model the boot after Honeywell released its sexy-but-kinda-dumb Lyric (read our review of the Lyric), but this old thermostat’s got more fight left in it than we thought. Here we are, months after the Lyric’s launch, and not only is the Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat still for sale, it has garnered hundreds of positive Amazon.com reviews. Whereas most new smart thermostats went for a futuristic design, this one’s just a durable workhorse with an easy to use touch screen and a familiar design.
Check the current stock and price on Amazon.com
- Full-featured touch screen with intuitive interface
- Email alerts feature
- Learns your system and starts heating/cooling in advance of your scheduled time accordingly
- Control over your house fan independently of programming (you can run the fan on its own)
- Ease of installation varies by system
- No data reports
- Model is nearly 5 years old as of 9/2017
- Lacks fine-tune control over swing range on already set programs
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF Review
Honeywell’s been in the thermostat business a long time – and with that longevity comes the expertise needed to hold its own in the hot smart thermostat market. The Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat RTH9580 is a worthy competitor to the Nest, especially for people who hate twisting a dial and would love a mini computer screen to interact with.
The Honeywell RTH9580’s sleek design hugs the wall with less than 1″ protrusion. Its beautiful, responsive touch screen contains a wealth of information: thermostat status, indoor temperature, outdoor temperature and humidity displayed over a user-chosen backdrop color.
The free companion app (iPhone, iPad, Android supported) gives users remote control, and emailed alerts warn owners of system failure or deviation from pre-set temperature ranges.
Let’s take a closer look at the Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat (RTH9580WF).
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat’s Best Features
- Access thermostat settings remotely with companion app and/or Honeywell website. Warm up the house before you even get out of bed!
- Smartly designed user interface puts most of the control on the thermostat unit itself
- Alerts system notifies you of temperatures or disconnects outside your defined range you via email if the temperature exceeds your defined range
- Narrow temperature swing range: +/- 1 degrees vs. the Nest’s +/- 3 degrees.
- Outdoor weather conditions included on the display.
- Customize color scheme from 12 presets or adjust three sliders – color (0 to 359), shade (0 – 100%), and brightness (0 to 100%) for thousands of color possibilities
- Slim design is half the thickness (0.8″) of competitor thermostat, the Nest
- Learns how long it takes your HVAC system to reach the desired temp and begins heating/cooling at the appropriate time in advance of your scheduled time
- Away mode
- Restrict access with a PIN and/or designated users
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat’s Competitive Edge
Plenty of on-unit and in-app control gives the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat an edge over the Nest when it comes to customizing the thermostat’s behavior. The large display is easy to see.
For extra peace of mind, set up e-mail alerts to be notified of disruptions or deviations from the schedule:
- Temperature or humidity higher/lower than X for Y hours
- Connection lost with Honeywell’s servers
- A change command failed to reach your thermostat
- Notify when conditions return to normal
Well-designed companion app predates the RTH9580 thermostat model, so Honeywell has had plenty of time to perfect the app. Many users report the companion app is quick to load and easy to use.
Grant limited access to additional users, such as your babysitter or visiting mother in law, by entering the user’s email address into your My Total Connect Comfort account.
Price: Prices fluctuate, but generally speaking, the Honeywell Wi-Fi is the most inexpensive of the current crop of best smart thermostats.
Honeywell RTH9580 Technical Specs
The Honeywell RTH9580 protrudes just .8″ from the wall – by comparison, the Nest sticks out 1.26″.
- 4.5″ wide x 3.5″ tall
- .8″ depth
- 24-bit color
- 3.75″ wide x 2.25″ tall
- 802.11b/g/n @ 2.4GHz
- 802.15.4 @ 2.4GHz
- WEP_PSK, WPA_TKIP_PSK, WPA2_AES_PSK, WPA2_MIXED_PSK
Nearly all wireless routers meet at least one of these standards.
- Power is drawn from C-wire
- No battery required or supplied
Support for English, French, and Spanish. 2 year limited warranty.
Honeywell 9580 System Compatibility
Honeywell’s own website provides a convenient compatibility tool for assessing your system’s compatibility.
Honeywell’s website claims compatibility with most heating and cooling systems as well as heat pumps.
- Heating only
- Cooling only
- Warm air furnace
- Central air conditioning
- Hot water
- Steam or gravity systems
- Single-stage and multi-stage heating and/or cooling
- Heat pump (with/without auxiliary and with/without EM)
The RTH9580WF does not work with heat pumps with electric baseboard heat (120-240V).
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat Installation
This 8 minute manufacturer video walks you through the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat installation process. Note that the Honeywell RTH95890WF requires a C-wire.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat Drawbacks
No data reports. Compared with other smart thermostats, the biggest disadvantage of the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is the lack of detailed energy reports. Unlike the Nest and ecobee, the Honeywell RTH9580WF doesn’t generate a record of data for you to peruse! If you’re not a data cruncher, you might not miss it – but if you are, consider an ecobee for granular data reports.
Paint touch-ups may be required. Like most smart thermostats, the Honeywell is probably smaller than your previous thermostat.
It’s old. This 4-year old model might be showing its age in a few ways, but we still see plenty of ’em in the wild and Honeywell has kept ’em in stock all this time.
The Bottom Line
The Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF is a worthy competitor, even now in 2015. Its touch screen may not look as modern as some, but most users will appreciate its ease of use nonetheless. Whether you prefer it over the Nest and the ecobee3 probably just comes down to personal taste.
Note to readers: Some links on SmartThermostatGuide.com are affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.